The Apparition Chapel, Knock
On this day, 21st August, 1879, at approximately 8 p.m., there appeared at the gable wall of the Parish Church, Knock, Co. Mayo, Our Lady, St. Joseph, St. John the Evangelist, and the Lamb and cross on an altar. Fifteen people from the village of Knock in Co. Mayo, witnessed the apparition. The witnesses watched the apparition in the pouring rain for two hours, reciting the Rosary. Although they themselves were saturated not a single drop of rain fell on the gable or vision.
Archdeacon Cavanagh was parish priest of Knock at the time of the apparition. He had been celebrating 100 Masses for the Holy Souls for the previous 100 days leading up to the apparition.
Ven. Archdeacon Cavanagh
“Pray for the soul of the Venerable Archdeacon Cavanagh, Archdeacon of the Chapter of Tuam, and parish of Knock-Aghamore, whose fame, on account of the extraordinary sanctity of his life and his devotion to the Mother of God, was diffused thus far and wide. Unwearying in the Confessional, assiduous in works of piety, he died, full of years and merits,” Pray for the souls of the visionaries of Knock and for all pilgrims and clients of Our Lady of Knock.